Sure-sure, you can’t “judge a book by its cover,” but that doesn’t mean you can’t sell a book by its cover. Books with cool covers stand out on the shelf. They sell themselves. Why spend hundreds or thousands of hours writing a book and then dress it in a dull, uninviting cover?
The virtual bookshelves of the eBook world are crowded, making it all the more important to stand out when it comes to your eBook cover. If you captivate readers from the outset (with the OUTSIDE of your book), they’ll be drawn to find out what’s inside. Here are 3 tips for creating an eye-catching eBook cover that sells:
1. Try Something Different – We’ve seen enough book covers with flower-haired maidens at sunset, already! Try to choose a theme that really represents the uniqueness of your book. It’s important to stand out. If you are choosing images yourself, make sure they are distinctive in their appeal. Take a look around Amazon and check out all of the other covers in your genre and make sure yours is different. Keep to one theme and don’t over-clutter. Think about what the driving message of the book is and use this as the focus of the design.
2. Use Color Boldly – Color Increases readers’ attention span by 82% and makes an impression that is 39% more memorable. Make sure you use RGB color mode for your images as this will be what is displayed on an eReader’s screen. You want your title to be as legible as possible at varying resolutions. Strong, contrasting colors are likely to have the most impact and be the most readable.
3. Consider Your Thumbnail – No, I don’t mean the your actual thumbnail. Online eBook retailers will likely display your eBook cover as an 80 x 115 pixel thumbnail image and in some cases much smaller (look at the iBookstore on an iPhone). It’s important to make sure your cover design is clear and readable at a small size. View your cover image at varying image sizes and make sure it doesn’t turn into a boring smudge when you shrink it down.
If you’re ready for an eBook cover but need help creating it, fear not; Our designers are here to help! The BookBaby Design Studio will help ensure that you make a professional impression with an expertly designed eBook cover. Our team of designers has years of experience creating packaging for authors, musicians and filmmakers, so rest assured that you’ll get a cover that’s been designed to stand out and increase sales.
The process is an easy 4 steps:
1. Select a package (Basic or Delux)
2. Provide your ideas
3. Complete our Design Questionnaire
4. Review your proof so the ePub assembly and delivery process can begin!
Are you ready? Let’s design your eBook Cover with BookBaby